Transition to Employment
This module intends to support your use of the AET Transition to Employment Toolkit.
The course aims are:
- Explain the recruitment barriers autistic young people face in accessing employment opportunities.
- Promote the benefits of employing autistic young people for employers.
- Effectively use the tools within the Transition to Employment toolkit to prepare and support autistic young people into work experience / employment opportunities.
- Guide employers to implement accessible recruitment and selection processes and workplace adjustments for autistic young people.
- Improve inclusive work experience / employment opportunities for autistic young people.
After completing the module, you will be able to:
- Identify interview and selection practices that can remove barriers for autistic people, including helpful adjustments before, during and after an interview / assessment.
- Promote autistic strengths, talents and skill sets, and the benefits for employers of autistic young people.
- Identify barriers autistic young people may encounter in the workplace, and examples of workplace adjustments that can be made.
- Reflect upon the anxieties autistic young people may experience within the workplace and how through successful implementation of workplace adjustments these may be reduced.
- Discuss the importance of employers promoting well-considered inclusive work experience / employment opportunities to enable autistic young people to reach their full potential, demonstrating their skills, expertise and experience with confidence.
- Use and endorse tools from the toolkit to share with employers to identify, implement and record individualised workplace adjustments.