This presentation covers what extremism is, the current climate, how extremists are using Covid to promote their narrative and how Prevent and Channel work in Buckinghamshire.
Prevent is one of the key strands of CONTEST, the Government’s counter-terrorism strategy and it aims to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism. The 3 objectives of CONTEST are to:
- Respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it
- Prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and support
- Work with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation
- Understand the role of governors for Prevent Duty, including a focus on safeguarding, understanding referral routes, staff training, working in partnership with other agencies
- All governors who complete the Prevent training course will receive a certificate of attendance of WRAP (Workshop to Raise Awareness About Prevent)
Who Should Attend
It is good practice for at least the governor responsible for Safeguarding to receive Prevent training.